Montessori Peace School is located at 730 Jackson St, Herndon VA in historic Harding Hall. It is a charming “Children’s House” (in the words of Dr. Maria Montessori) with an amazing sunroom that houses our Primary Classrooms. From our many windows we get to watch the seasons change, the birds visit, and the clouds float by. Montessori Peace School was founded by Sangeet Khalsa and Sunder Cheng, who are also lead Primary teachers. They have a combined 40 years of teaching experience. Their joy of teaching and learning permeates the school environment.
Montessori Peace School has two Primary Classes (ages 3-6) and one Preprimary Class (ages 18 months-3 years). Each of our Primary Classes will have 18-20 students and our Preprimary Class will have 10 students. We maintain a ratio of 1 adult to 5 children in all classes. Our teachers are AMS or AMI certified. Our teachers consider it an honor to be part of the growth and development of each child as they go about the work of constructing their own unique personality.
The Montessori Primary Program is a three year educational program. Ideally, a child will join our multi-aged class when he/she is three, often after completing our Preprimary program. Each child is guided with individual and group lessons and grows and learns at his/her own pace.
It is to a child’s maximum developmental benefit ( intellectually, socially, empathetically to complete the full cycle of the Montessori educational experience. The full day kindergarten program allows an in-depth time for reading, mathematics, and cultural studies. During the third year,the Kindergarten child is given many leadership opportunities and becomes a role model in the multiage classroom. These leadership roles strengthen the child’s feelings of self confidence as they graduate and enter elementary school.
Commitment to the Student and Family In fulfillment of the obligation to the children, Montessori Peace School:
1. Shall encourage independent action in the pursuit of learning
2. Shall protect the opportunity to provide for participation in educational programs without regard to race, sex, color, creed, or national origin
3. Shall protect the health and safety of students ( serve organic snacks, milk, use non toxic cleaning supplies)
4. Shall honor professional commitments, maintain obligations, and contracts while never soliciting nor involving students or their parents in schemes for commercial gain.
5. Shall keep in confidence information that has been secured in the course of professional service, unless disclosure serves professional purposes or is required by law.